Wednesday 8 January 2014

Belfast Noir

Stuart Neville
Adrian McKinty











I've mentioned this on Twitter and Facebook a few times, but for those of you who don't do the social media thing, here's a wee heads-up about a short story collection you might want to check out. BELFAST NOIR is an anthology of crime fiction that will be published as part of the respected Akashic series. It's been edited by Adrian McKinty and Stuart Neville and between them I think they've concocted something very special. A look at the list of contributors is all the proof you'll need (even the charity case at the end of the list there).

Glenn Patterson, Eoin McNamee, Garbhan Downey, Lee Child, Alex Barclay, Brian McGilloway, Ian McDonald, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Claire McGowan, Arlene Hunt, Steve Cavanagh, Lucy Caldwell, Sam Millar and Gerard Brennan.

Isn't that a thing of beauty?

I've met, interacted with or read all of those writers, and I have rarely seen such an impressive murder of scribes. Yes, the Mammoth Book of Best British Crime (a series I've blagged my way into for a third time this year) is top notch, and jam-packed with writers in the same league as Lee Child, but BELFAST NOIR is extra special to me. It's Belfast, like.

Can't wait to get my hands on a finished copy, and I'm especially looking forward to the launch party, which I expect to be a little bit drinky, but mostly another one of those criminally few opportunities to catch up with some of the greatest talent in contemporary crime fiction and general cool cats.

Watch this space, or indeed Adrian McKinty's space, because he'll get the scoop and he's a better blogger.

2 comments:

seana graham said...

Your editors look like pretty severe taskmasters, Gerard.

Gerard Brennan said...

Aye, Seana. Them boys aren't soft. Luckily I'm a happy-go-lucky team player... sometimes.

gb